Blog 2

Interview on Writing

What do you think about when you think about writing?

Person 1: “The first thing that comes to mind is ‘difficult’ because, personally, I struggle with thing that involve being really artisitc and creative.”

Person 2: “Because of school, I just think of essays and homework; typically long research papers for my major courses.”

Person 3: “When I think of writing, I think of narrative writing or storytelling because I like to keep journals and diaries. I like to read memoirs too, so I don’t know if that means I just prefer things that are more personal or relatable.”

When do you write?

Person 1: “I write when I have to prepare documents for work, usually emails or revisions/summaries or legal documents.”

Person 2: “I write whenever I have a writing assignment. I wouldn’t say it’s something I do for fun or with passion.”

Person 3: “I write when I feel that there is something I want to have on record. So it could be an idea or something that happened in my day for my diary.”

What do you write?

Person 1: “Mainly emails to co-workers.”

Person 2: “Essays, research papers, and other homework assignments that have prompts.”

Person 3: “Poems, short-stories, notes to myself, and notes of things that happened or thoughts I’ve had.”

Where do you write?

Person 1: “In my home office and work office.”

Person 2: “In my dorm or in class, it depends on what I’m writing.”

Person 3: “Usually in my room or just somewhere that I feel comfortable.”

What do you like about writing?

Person 1: “I can communicate without having to repeat myself.”

Person 2: “It helps me to articulate myself in a more profound way to my professors or potential employers, like for internships and things like that.”

Person 3: “I like the sharing aspect of writing because I feel that there’s a lot I can teach other people as well as learn from other people, with the most important thing being that people share more similarities with others than they think.”

What do you dislike about writing?

Person 1: “Having to be formal when something can be said a lot easier in another way.”

Person 2: “I just don’t like to right with restrictions because I can express a complete thought in under  1000 words, but some teachers think otherwise.”

Person 3: “I can’t say there’s much I dislike about writing, but I do find it annoying that sometimes you can think faster than you write or type, and because of that you can lose your train of thought easily.

Is composing the same as writing?

Person 1: “I would say so, because if you’re writing or composing, you’re creating something.”

Person 2: “I feel like it depends because composing suggests something more specific than writing in that it seems it proposes something a little more creative than just a research paper.”

Person 3: “I think that writing is a form of composition, but is not the same thing. It would also depend on what your definition of writing is and if that changes.”



        I think that writing is professing yourself in anyway that can be explained verbally, so words do not necessarily have to be apart of the composition itself, but the final product can be described with them. The result of that is what I would define as a text, because even the definition of that surpasses that of just a book. Writing seems to happen for most people when they feel that they have to do it, whether it is for fun or not, they do it for a reason. From the answers I received in my interviews, it seems that people tend to base their opinions on writing and the writing process on their own personal writing and what is the most prevalent in their own life. Also, writing is a very fluid concept because of the wide range of reasons for and means of doing it.
         If anything, I feel that these answers affirm my views on writing and the process of it. Writing is prompted by something, whether it be a scholarly task, inspiration, or an urgent email to a co-worker. Writing is also an idea that varies by person, purpose, culture, society, politics, needs, and environment. These factors all play a role in the “how”, “what”, and the “why”. I believe that writing and composing a different in that writing is a form of composition, however it is not the only form. For instance, writing music is composing, but I would also have to argue that the music produced by the instrument as the artist plays is composing as well, where the pen and paper are held parallel to the artists hands/mout and the instrument. Both produce something that can be explained, but it would be hard for someone to describe playing an instrument as a form of writing, though music in audio form is also a text. I just think that to truly separate the two, one would have to be very specific on standards and classifications nbecuase it becomes messy when concepts become contradictory.

Comments