Blog 6
I feel that
the audience I cater to values new and creative ideas that are also innovative
and relevant, so the notion of remixing definitely would appeal to them. Arola
explains assemblage (the remixing) to be, in part, “creative repition” (206). Transforming
already formed ideas or pieces of art into something new while still retaining
their original parts gives them new meaning and purpose, while also having them
connect back to the audiences that viewed them before undergoing the remix
process. Collages or reformed edits of art are forms of assemblage as they
contain original material that has been reconstructed in some way. For my own
personal blog, I combined and ordered images from a photo shoot to retain a specific
meaning and aesthetic (https://www.tbhtam.com/single-post/2018/01/01/2018
). For my Project 2, I will be re-editing and reordering the images to showcase
a new meaning and new vibe, that would probably suit a different platform from
my own blog and appeal to an audience outside of my blog’s readers. The
audience would not shift, so much as it would expand. Since I will be utilizing
my own creative work for the remix, Fair Use laws would not be violated. If I
were using the work of another person, I would require the creator’s permission,
unless the work was apart of public domain, then I could alter and present the
work however I choose. If the work is being used for educational purposes in a
class, not for profit, for instance, a class explaining remixes, then Fair Use
is being upheld. Another important thing to acknowledge is that when remixing
another’s work, one cannot deface the work, and rework it into something
derogatory such as cultural appropriation (though I am not quite sure if
appropriating cultural artifacts violates laws/copyright/Fair Use, it is just
unethical). Arola mentions Indigenous people’s discontent with the claiming of
items they hold sacred by other cultures, being altered and reset for
exploitive purposes. Assemblage such as that is more demeaning than innovative,
and rather defeats the goal of assemblage (a form of artistic and social
progression) (213). I think it would be best to leave culturally sacred
artifacts out of the mix when remixing items, but art and other creative works
definitely fit the mold.
Comments
Post a Comment