Project 2- Designer's Statement
Link to Original Assemblage: https://www.tbhtam.com/single-post/2018/01/01/2018
For Project 2, I selected a personal assemblage of my own
making. I run a blog that discusses various aspects of pop culture and the
social lives of individuals in the 19 to 28-age range (more heavily weighted on
college life). For the new year, I had done a photo shoot over Winter break to
mark the redesign of the blog and the new content that it will be showcasing in
the following month. I decided to work with bright hues, models that reflected
the age group of the audience, and outrageous and fashionable outfits. The
setting for all of this had to be out of the box and place the outfits and models
“out of context”. College kids dressed in odd high fashion selections in a park
seemed to befit the notion of fashion and modernity challenging the outdoors.
The goal was to have them sort of utilizing nature for vanity rather than the
typical mission of most photo shoots done outdoors that ask the model to become
one with nature. The photo shoot process occurred, then a selection process
followed. The images chosen were then edited and altered for the blog post
creating an assemblage.
The order
of the images, poses, and other stylistic choices create the rhetorical
situation for the image. To cater to this assignment’s need for new meaning, I
have edited the images in a reverse process and removed and added pictures from
the original shoot. In regards of the
blurb placed before the images in the original blog post, which I have linked
above, I shortened it to one sentence that was more vague to leave the images
open to free interpretation by the audience, and made an eerie statement that
could have a variety of meanings to it placed beneath the spread of images (as
opposed to the beginning of the spread like in the original). Specifically,
using Facetune and Afterlight, I went back into the album I have saved that
contains the photos (pulled out a few neglected shots as well) used in the
spread and I reduced brightness, saturation, color, and focus. I cropped some
of the images to alter meaning (certain props can no longer be seen). A
grey-enhancing filter had been placed over the images along with a feature that
creates shadows around the perimeter of the photos. The pictures are almost
unrecognizable to their original forms and no longer present an “out with the
old and in with the hues” persona.
The images are now eerie and haunting
as the backgrounds of them depict darkness encroaching on the models. Instead
of having high fashion trying to fit in with nature competitively, the new spread
depicts a fear of nature and displacement.
Beyond the
purposes of this assignment, I believe that the new rendition of the spread can
be used in the future (mid-Summer) to show that the blog is versatile and can
represent fashion and current trends as well as defy the norms and standards
the industry has set. More so, it allows the blog to elaborate on its heavy
advocacy for creativity, change, youth, and thinking outside of the box. The
audience can expand now to those who have more serious visions of art, that are
less fanciful and focused on vibrancy that they may have viewed to be
childish—perhaps even allowing them to establish a new appreciation for
vibrancy in artwork. The final configuration is a blog advertisement which combines the newly edited images in one graphic. The image has an overlay that resembles a bullseye to put further emphasis on the idea that nature is targeting fashion to an extent. It is supposed to appear stylish with hints at this underlying meaning as it is still a blog advertisement.
Ultimately,
the assemblage made a transition from bright and bubbly to serious and dark.
Athleticism and utilizing of props are now less of a focus. More than anything
the new images create a fear making audience members wonder why a person is
posing so calmly and stoically in an image that manipulates the surroundings to
make it appear that something may be lurking in the background behind the
models, as they recognize whatever is behind the model is in fact apart of
nature. The distinction is clearer than it was in the previous spread that the
two (fashion and nature) are not compatible, only now, the reasoning has
changed. Before, an implicit notion had been made that fashion does not
understand nature, now there is an essence of fashion not belonging in nature
because nature is frightening and fashion is too playful. Another shift I
noticed in the final product was that the audience might focus more on the
models than their clothes because their clothes are harder to see and their
facial expressions are almost as frightening as the edits in the new rendition.
Comments
Post a Comment